X server difficulties
  • From: Bob Rea <gapetard@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 15:29:20 +0000 (UTC)
I have lost the ability to run kde as my normal user. It will run
as root, but I don't like to do that.

Here is my .X.err fille:
bob@gandalf:~> cat .X.err
/usr/X11R6/bin/startx: line 237: 5510 Bus error
xauth -q -f $xserverauthfile <<EOF
add :$dummy . $mcookie
EOF

Fatal server error:
Cannot move old log file ("/var/log/Xorg.0.log" to
"/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old"

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.X.Org
for help.

giving up.
xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X
server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

Previous to this I was able to start kde but not open kmail or
xchat. opening them in Konsole told me that they had crashed and
showed a seg fault

then when I restarted i got the message in .X.err about.

I tried fiddling with the files mentioned, m rm-ing the old file
and moving the log file to the old file, or removing both, but
to no avail.

I can supply the xsession files if that would help.

I also have old dcop servers from previous dates if that is any
help.

What would you suggest?
--
Bob Rea