Re: [SLE] Cautionary Tales: lm_sensors for beginners
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 20:13:40 +0000 (UTC)
On Saturday 09 September 2006 05:09, Basil Chupin wrote:
> The fans are automatically controlled by the PSU from input from sensors
> on the motherboard. The knob-twiddling is a manual control which I can
> use to override the base speed of the PSU and the case fans if I think
> that the temperature inside the case should be lower. In hotter weather
> I up the fan speeds for all 4 fans (2X PSU, 2X case) to get the air
> inside the case moving quicker. I set the RPM of these fans at ~1650 RPM.

Well then I re-iterate my first statement... I've never heard of rheostats on
on computer fans. Anything not demand controlled from by the
computer itself is just asking for trouble IMHO.

Its a computer. Its got all the time in the world to watch its own
temperature. Remember: it works for you, not the other way around.

--
John Andersen