Re: [SLE] kernel update version
  • From: Ed McCanless <e_mccanless@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 04:10:23 +0000 (UTC)

Carlos E. R. wrote:

The Saturday 2006-09-16 at 20:35 -0400, Ed McCanless wrote:

I think you'd be better by reinstalling the kernel as I said yesterday. It
should be faster.IMO.

This is along the lines I was thinking, but the checks Joe requested seem to
indicate that the new kernel is there.

Maybe it is incomplete; not the /boot image, but the modules, that are many and use quite some space. Youd don't happen to have a nearly full disk, per chance? That happened to me once, the update could not complete. Something there did not update correctly who knows why.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine 1.76

I have plenty of space left. Usage on hda2 is only 26% of 20GB. The larger partition, hda3, is 14.5% of 89.8GB.

According to the files Joe Morris advised me to check, it looks like modules for both kernels are there somewhere:

# ls /lib/modules

# rpm -qa | grep kernel

The kernel-docs don't match, but I'm used to seeing out of date docs.
Then there is the check you had me run:

Ran uname -r

It seems the system is giving conflicting reports depending on where the info is drawn from.
As to the re-install you advised, I'm sure that would be fastest, but if proceeding another way will provide useful info for anyone I am willing. I'm sure I would learn from the experience.