Re: [opensuse] Fw: Driver Repository for openSUSE / SuSE Linux Enterprise (nVidia)
  • From: "Marcel Mourguiart" <mourguiart@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 17:47:54 +0200
2006/9/16, Marcel Mourguiart <mourguiart@xxxxxxxxx>:

2006/9/16, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006@xxxxxxx>:

> Marcel Mourguiart wrote:
> > _Is there a formal letter from kernel developers saying you can't have
> > non-free drivers in your servers or your distro ?_
>
> Yes. Alan Cox (one of the main kernel developers) has written such a
> letter. A few other kernel developers have done the same. Christoph
> Hellwig (he also holds copyright on quite a few critical parts of
> the kernel) has stated: "I'm going to sue them if they use hook
> called from code I have copyright on."

Funny and why they have non-free kernel modules in the kernel server ??

Have you a link to the letter ??

You know what, never mind

Is clear that GPL is protected by law in Germany and USA, is clear too ( for
me at least ) that you can't mix or link non-free software with GPL code (
with lgpl you can ).

What i think is not clear is the server=distribution, for example when
kororaa receive a letter from fsf, they ask to kororaa specifically remove
the nvidia and ati driver _from the live cd_, wich they do. BUT they never
have ask to remove nvidia / ati drivers from gentoo servers ( kororaa
depository ), not a single letter, just nothing.

Debian project have a big non-free section in the server, i have never see a
letter from fsf asking to remove it because they are braking the GPL.

Almost every big distro ( including suse ) have some non-free kernel modules
in the server, i have never see fsf asking to remove those files.

Ok, they have time/money to make a sue, but they have not the time to write
a letter ??

you can read the kororaa issue here:
http://kororaa.org/index.php?entry=entry060521-200059

--