Re: [opensuse] Fw: Driver Repository for openSUSE / SuSE Linux Enterprise (nVidia)
  • From: "Marcel Mourguiart" <mourguiart@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 17:29:22 -0400
2006/9/5, Robert Schiele <rschiele@xxxxxxxxx>:

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 04:22:24PM -0400, Marcel Mourguiart wrote:
> Know, try to think a little before you ownser, if i'm saying that, why i
> repeating that you CAN put non-free software on your _server_ , not your
> cd's, not your dvd's but your **server**

It does not matter whether you distribute stuff that violates licenses on
media kits or on a server, even if you repeat this false statement a
hundred
times.

What i repeat a hundred times if is necessary , is that have the nvidia
driver in the same server is not the same to have it together and _linked_
with the kernel, nvidia drivers are not _illegal by it self, is illegal to
distribute this driver all together with the kernel.

By the way, in Suse SLED 10 if push the botton in your desktop to install
GLX and you have a nvidia card, the program install the nvidia driver ... is
the illegal too ?

>Ok, so illuminate me, why you can't put non-free drivers in the same
> >server
> >> as a depositary ??
> >
> >If you in return explain me what a "depositary" is in this context.
>

> I mean "repository", my english is not that good.

Ok, then the answer is: _Technically_ you can do this with illegal kernel
modules (or other software violating a license) but it is _illegal_.

So please call the kernel developers too, because the _illegal_ software is
in that server too:

http://mirrors.kernel.org/suse/i386/10.1/inst-source-extra/suse/i586/smartlink-softmodem-kmp-default-2.9.10_2.6.16.13_4-44.i586.rpm
http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/pool/non-free/n/nvidia-graphics-modules-i386/

Incredible, Linux kernel just have violate the GPL !! This gonna be a
fantastic inquirer story.

--
Marcel Mourguiart