Re: [opensuse] Fw: Driver Repository for openSUSE / SuSE Linux Enterprise (nVidia)
  • From: Manfred Tremmel <Manfred.Tremmel@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 21:30:46 +0200
Am Dienstag, 5. September 2006 14:01 schrieb Dominique Leuenberger:

> Why is everybody just pointing the ball around? Sure, it's easy to
> say: if the vendor doesn't create drivers, don't buy their hardware.

Yes.

> Then PLEASE: What graphic card would you suggest at the moment to
> have full native 3D support? If this Opensource community is that

Intel ChipSet-GPUs.

> strong, why is the nvidia driver not capable of 3D? Because they feel

No Infos about the hardware, no driver. The livetime of GPUs is so
short, if you have to find out everything by reverse engeniering it
takes much longer to write the driver then you can buy the hardware.

> there is another driver from nVidia? But still they feel that this
> one does not suit the needs? That's just bul****

That's your opinion.

> Don't forget: Linux needs the support from Hardware vendors to be
> successful on the desktop (as well as on the server, but there at
> least graphic is less an issue... YET). I agree, it's good to have
> the kernel drivers open, for security revious and development.
> There's no question in this.

If I would like a Desktop system, but not MS, I would by a Mac
If I would like a System with perfekt Hardware support, I would by a Mac
If I would like to have a Unix on the Desktop, I would by a Mac
But what I want to have, is a free OS, and OS that keeps free in the
future, so I'm using Linux.

Yes, I would be happy if Linux would get installed on more and more
computers, but not at any price. I'm using nv driver (not nvidia) on my
GeForce2 MX200 and radeon driver (not fglrx) on my Notebook. I can't
use XGL, but it's ok.

--
Machs gut | http://www.iivs.de/schwinde/buerger/tremmel/
Manfred | http://www.knightsoft-net.de