Re: [SLE] suse 10.1 software updates
  • From: Mike Dewhirst <miked@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 00:32:54 +0000 (UTC)
Marius Roets wrote:
On 8/14/06, mohammed hassan <mhm2010mhm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello
my problem wiyh suse 10.1 is that i cannot run any update since i install
suse .i reinstall suse up to 4 time but
nothing changed the system tray icon say that there arenot any updates found

how can i solve that ??
plz i want help

thanks
Like Bruce said, you have to use YOU. Just install everything it
suggests (libzypp comes to mind). I had to do this 3 times, each time
restarting YOU before I got everyting. Then the zen (tray icon)
updater should work, and you can update the rest through that.

I'm running 10.1 64-bit and thanks to your advice is now also working for me (I think - see below).

Mohammed - you need to first register with Novell for the patch update mirror locations. Do that in Yast in Online Update Configuration. I had actually registered with Novell successfully for updates when I first installed (clean) but it took three attempts. I must say I figured that was all I had to do.

After this discussion started I looked and noticed the tray icon for the first time and clicked it. It failed to complete with a libzypp dependency issue. I went to YOU and saw most of the updates were deselected except libzypp so I accepted that. YOU installed the libzypp patch and restarted with all or most of the patches ticked for download. I closed YOU and tried the tray icon again. I got a different dependency failure message (can't remember) and went back to YOU to find the patches unticked except for (I think) another libzypp patch. I went through the same process again and now the saffron coloured tray icon thingy is downloading patches.

<below> It is saying it is updating software but the progress bar does not seem to be moving. The ADSL router is working very hard so I suppose I just need to be patient. There were a lot of patches.

I have
to mention though, I have now switched to smart. After some initial
pains getting it going, I must say, I am very impressed.

Can you say why you were impressed?

Mike

HTH
Marius