Re: [SLE] Samba Auth to AD
  • From: Sandy Drobic <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:13:07 +0000 (UTC)
Brian Blater (BBList) wrote:
I have a SUSE 10.1 server that I would like to setup some samba shares
on. However, to make life easier I would like to have samba
authenticate to an Active Directory server so the users don't have to
type in a username and password when they access these shares.

I believe this is possible, but all the documents I found last night in
my Google search pointed me to setting up the Linux box to authenticate
users to an AD when logging in to the local box. Is it possible to just
have samba look at AD for authentication? I really want to leave the
linux box to allow only local users to login using the /etc/passwd
file.

Can someone point me to a document that shows how to do this or give me
some steps on what needs to be done?

Samba 3 can use the winbindd to become a member server in AD.

http://us2.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/unixclients.html#adssdm

Sandy
--
List replies only please!