Re: [SLE] Re: [opensuse] Installing 56k Modem in Suse10.1
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:15:56 +0000 (UTC)
Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
Sun, 20 Aug 2006, by blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx:

Patrick Shanahan wrote:
[pruned]

I do remember that when I first used dial-up on linux with MarmaDuke
(??) 5.5 that I had no problems connecting, but I had an external
serial port USRobotics.

The above is slightly inaccurate. I did connect with linux (Slackware)
which had to have the kernel compiled to install. I believe that it
was prior to 1.0, something like 15 floppy disks downloaded over 1200
baud dial-up (or was it 600). Dos days before windoz.

That 1200 baud modem was _fast_ compared to the accoustic connect 150
baud first modem on a C-64 running cp/m.
I shall never forget the day I introduced the 1200 baud modem (~1968) on
^^^^^^
ITYM 1986..
In '68 there weren't even modems around yet afaik, only TELEX and
Telegraphy. The computers in those days were al in hands of large
coorporations, and all worked on either dedicated tasks or with
batched processing of punch cards or paper-tape.
If they even had a terminal it was a teletype kind of console, just
for the demi-god Operator, no-one else.

Oh dear :-) , of course that should have read ~1986. In fact I think it was 1987 or even 1988.

Thanks for picking this up.

Cheers.

--
This computer is environment-friendly and is running on OpenSuSE 10.1

< Previous Next >