Re: [SLE] a long-time Suser compares kubuntu and Suse
  • From: "PerfectReign" <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 12:29:35 +0000 (UTC)

Clayton wrote:
<snip>

>> Using it, within *literally* minutes i figured out how to
>> effectively
>> use one of the package managers (Adept, a Qt front end for apt)
>
> Have to agree here. This is where SUSE really fails the end user. An
> experienced person can work out what needs to be done, but a new users
> is not going to work it out... unless he /she has a LOT of hand
> holding.

Valid point there - hadn't thought of it.

Though I do agree YaST is far superior to the only other package
manger I tried - urpmi - it is still very complicated. Newbies like me
have a hard time because of the need to scour the net for sources. The
ones listed on the opensuse website often are broken or simply wrong.
For example I've never seen this link to work...

http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-10.1/non-oss-inst-source/

...then if I choose a mirror, I have a dizzying array of folders to
choose from. For example here - ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/suse/ I
have yet to find the non-oss-inst-source folder anywhere. But then
this mirror DOES have it...
http://mirror.usu.edu/mirrors/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.1/non-oss-inst-source/

Not particularly complaining here, just mentioning that maybe things
could be a bit easier. Since I've used 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 10.0 and 10.1
I'm starting to get the hang of it. I just utilize google as my
install helper. :)