Re: [opensuse] Re: Sources, revisited
  • From: Eberhard Moenkeberg <emoenke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 22:49:06 +0200 (CEST)
Hi,

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Thomas Hertweck wrote:
Eberhard Moenkeberg wrote:

[...]

With a list server attached "Reply-To", _NOT_ANY_ handcrafting would be
necessary _ANYWHERE_.

This is plain wrong.

You are wrong.

If there is a reply-to set by the server, the email
will always go back to the list whether I use the "Reply" or "List
Reply" functionality.

Yes! Remember, you are communicating through a mailing list server!
The list is the default goal!

So I need to edit the address field if I want to
this case because I have to remove the list address. I definitely call
this "handcrafting" and it disproves your statement cited above.

Your "if" is about 0.1%.
The other 99.9% is: reply to the list.

So the choice is to configure the list server so that either 1 or 999 hands have to craft to get it right.

On the other hand, if the server does *not* insert a reply-to, then
there is really no handcraft necessary. I can use "Reply" to send a
private message only, I can use "List Reply" to send my email to the
list, and I can use "Reply All" to send a private email with a CC: to
the list. Perfect!

So maybe you have found the appropriate mail tool for you. Lucky guy.

Now you ask everybody who uses a list reply to give up this
functionality just because you want it in a different way? That's a bit
odd...

What exactly would you have to give up?
Plain nothing! You simply would need one more move in 1 of 1000 cases,
but the other 999 cases would get a chance to do it right without extra thoughts and extra actions.

Cheers -e
--
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke@xxxxxxx, em@xxxxxxx)