Re: [opensuse] Novell GPL violation thread on Groklaw
  • From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 08:06:28 +0200 (MEST)
> b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
> years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
> cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
> machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
> distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
> customarily used for software interchange; or,
> ----------------------------
>
> The boxed version comes without sources, so 3a doesn't doesn't apply
> and 3b must be followed.

+1. By chance I stumbled upon http://www.gnu.org/cgi-bin/license-quiz.cgi
and that's what it says:

"""
6. FooCorp sells binaries of Joan's GPL'd web browser on CD without
source code. They include an offer to provide source code. Which of the
following offers fulfills their obligations under the GPL?

* I. "You can download the source code from our web site at http://foocorp.example.com/download.html";
* II. "Everyone who buys a binary CD may order up to one source CD per binary CD for $5000."
* III. "Everyone may order a source CD for $5000."
* IV. "Everyone who buys a binary CD may order up to one source CD per binary CD for the cost of distribution."
* V. "Everyone may order a source CD for the cost of distribution."
* VI. "Everyone who buys a binary CD may order up to one source CD for free."
* VII. "Everyone may order a source CD for free."

Result: "V and VII are OK, none of the others are."

> But the written offer is nowhere in the box, just a pointer to it on
> the web (and this pointer is in places where people normally don't
> look (bottom of the box, somewhere on some CD)).
>
> To conform with the GPL, at least the text "If you don't have Internet
> access or are unable to burn DVDs, we will send you the source code on
> a DVD. We need to charge a $15 or €15 fee for creation, handling and
> postage. To request a DVD of the source code, send an e-mail to
> sourcedvd@xxxxxxxx" from
> http://www.novell.com/products/suselinux/source_code.html or words to
> that effect _must_ be somewhere _in_ the box and should be on every
> media.
>
> This is currently made worse since yast can't install sources
> automatically (bug 175593).
>
> I strongly suggest to put the written offer in the root of every media
> and in prominent place in the manual.
>
> Best
> Martin
>
> PS: I suppose this also applies to SLE[SD] 10, but I haven't access to these.

Jan Engelhardt