Re: [opensuse] Novell GPL violation thread on Groklaw
  • From: "Martin Schröder" <martin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 02:34:15 +0200
[Sorry for coming late to this thread, I just noticed it through the archive]

To recap:
- The GPL states:
---------------------------
3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections
1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
customarily used for software interchange; or,
----------------------------

The boxed version comes without sources, so 3a doesn't doesn't apply
and 3b must be followed.

But the written offer is nowhere in the box, just a pointer to it on
the web (and this pointer is in places where people normally don't
look (bottom of the box, somewhere on some CD)).

To conform with the GPL, at least the text "If you don't have Internet
access or are unable to burn DVDs, we will send you the source code on
a DVD. We need to charge a $15 or €15 fee for creation, handling and
postage. To request a DVD of the source code, send an e-mail to
sourcedvd@xxxxxxxx" from
http://www.novell.com/products/suselinux/source_code.html or words to
that effect _must_ be somewhere _in_ the box and should be on every
media.

This is currently made worse since yast can't install sources
automatically (bug 175593).

I strongly suggest to put the written offer in the root of every media
and in prominent place in the manual.

Best
Martin

PS: I suppose this also applies to SLE[SD] 10, but I haven't access to these.

< Previous Next >