Re: [SLE] KDE daemon processes
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:36:55 +0200
Will Stephenson wrote:
On Monday 10 July 2006 18:48, Joachim Schrod said:
I don't use the KDE desktop, but I use KDE applications from time to time.
(I use an fvwm-based desktop.) When I start the first one, background
daemons get started; I assume for application communication and such. They
get shot down with the last KDE application terminating.

Start of these additional programs increases application startup time, or
don't they? I would like to start them in advance, when I start my X
session.

The hard way:
Read through /opt/kde3/bin/startkde and figure out which bits you want to start, and which (kdesktop, kicker, kwin) you don't need under fvwm.

Thanks a lot for your information, it helps. I think I'll go for the hard way; I like knowing what runs on my system. :)

> Someone (see below :)) should take care of the hard way soon, I see a lot of
> demand for KDE apps from people who don't want the whole desktop.

If more than five people tell me their interest (you can use PM and keep that me-too traffic off the list), I'll write up the result for the SUSE-Wiki. Otherwise, I won't bother, since the demand ain't not there.

Cheers,
Joachim