Re: [SLE] Almost in a panic here...<SOLVED>
  • From: JB <yonaton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:55:40 -0500
On Sunday 16 July 2006 13:12, praxis wrote:

> yonaton@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Quoting praxis <praxis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >>
> >> yep, John, good...
> >> we need to see what the contents of /dev/hda3 are, though. do a mount
> >> test on /dev/hda3, and tell us what happens. Also note Carl Hartung's
> >> last post, in which he proposed two models for your reconstructed fstab
> >> file.
> >
> > Okay, hda3 has grub, vmlinuz (also 'linked' grub and vmlinuz files) and
> > a few other files...all look like something to do with /boot.
> >
> > Okay then, since it all looks correct with Carl's fstab, should I just
> > replace his with what I have now and try to reboot?
>
> Yes, John, I would say give it a go with the first fstab in Carl's
> email. (the one with /boot mounted on /dev/hda3)

Okay, replacing the old fstab with Carl's fstab did the trick, though when I
rebooted it stuck at the screen 'GRUB (something)1.5'. I then rebooted with
the SuSE DVD and did a repair on GRUB and all seems to be well in the world
once again, since I am now back in my 'user' instead of in 'root'.

I really am grateful to Praxis and Carl and James and the others who got me
through this mess I created. If any of ya are ever in W. TN (exit 116 or 108
on I-40 is best, heh), I owe ya a beer or 12! Thank you all, this is *still*
the best darned list there is!

John