Re: [SLE] Almost in a panic here...
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:26:32 -0400
On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 12:00 -0400, yonaton@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Quoting James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > yonaton@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> >> I'm really starting to get worried that I messed something up very
> >> badly, but I'm hoping that someone out there can help me figure out what
> >> to do to fix it. I'll stay on as root for now to check my mail (I have
> >> no other choice at the moment) as often as possible.
> >>
> >> Thanks to anyone and everyone willing to help me with this problem.
> >
> > As root, can you see /home? Or /home/user? Did you have /home on a
> > separate partition?
>
> I can see a 'home' directory yes, but there's no /home/user when I
> click on it. There's just nothing.
> When I setup my system, I had /home, /, and swap IIRR. So yes, I
> guess it was on its own partition.

Check your /etc/fstab to see if it's being mounted. To see if the
partition is still there you could also use the software in KDE
Geeko->System->YaST->System->Partitioner. Use this carefully, it can
erase a partition if you tell it to. If you see that you have no /home
partition mentiooned, but have an entry live /dev/hda3 with no mount
point you could try setting it to mount at /home. I'd check the
contents of the partition first if I were you, which is where having a
bootable live disk, like Knoppix, use that to check and see if the
contents of the home partition are still there and what they are. If
they are then you can edit your /etc/fstab on the actual root partition
of the drive while still in Knoppix, or boot back into SuSE as root and
edit it then, issue a mount (see man mount) command and cd to /home and
see what's there. Then switch to run level 5 and try logging in.