Re: [SLE] Smart Update problem
  • From: "Clint Tinsley" <clintin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:05:40 -0700
I tried to update suse 10.1 with yast and failed miserably.

I Installed smart, and gave a system update. Patches were downloaded
for
about 4 hours and in the end it popped a message saying some packages
couldn't be retrieved(lots of packages were downloaded).

Nothing happened after that, how do I make sure all the patches were
installed properly? No messages or logs were given. What happened to
the
downloaded patches?

Is there any proper documentation for Smart?

http://dev-loki.blogspot.com/

This link has a section called "How to install and use smart on SUSE
Linux 10.1" and there are several other notes on using Smart. The
Smart website is at http://labix.org/smart

The important thing to remember when updating using Smart is to first
do a "smart update" followed by a "smart ugrade". If you don't do
the "smart update" first, you will not get the current updates and
then "smart upgrade" does the actual "update"

Now the your mileage may vary. Smart is beta, not final product and
there are some chinks in the armour already showing. First off,
while Smart is like YOU on steroids (or YUM on Fedora), it is
realatively fast but here is its downside. In order to decide which
package update in which repo is best, it downloads tons of package
updates which it "sorts" through and then installs the best "fit" of
packages for your system; this extra downloading comes at a price of
time. Second, Smart has not been consistent in updating when
compared with YOU. Tonight, as an example, YOU had 5 packages for
updating where Smart only knew about 3 of the updates. I used YOU to
update my system. Third, I also have a Fedora Core 5 system which I
tested Smart on; it did not pickup my Livna repo which YUM does so I
am sticking with YUM there. Smart is definitely work in progress
as Beta but you'll want to check it against YOU or YUM before taking
anything to the bank. YOU is working pretty well for me.

Clint