Re: [SLE] POP Mail HOWTO?
  • From: "John N. Alegre" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:17:28 -0500
Anders,

On Thursday 20 July 2006 08:32, Anders Johansson wrote:
> I'm confused, I thought you were talking about IMAP.
>
> The solution I detailed will store all your email in cyrus IMAP,
> and you can connect to it to read your email whether you're logged
> in locally or not (firewall permitting). The /var/spool/mail
> storage is taken out of the equation, and fetchmail is only used
> for putting things into cyrus, not for actually reading the email,
> for that you just connect to IMAP using your mail client. After
> all, one of the major points of IMAP is to have the email stored in
> one single location, instead of all over the place
>
> But if you really want to keep the /var/spool/mail storage, then
> the solution suggested by Joanne would do it for you
I am sorry to be jumping back on this thread so late, I was tied up
for a day.

What I want, and I realize there are more then one need being
expressed on this thread and I am happy for that, but what, I, want
is a solution where of the 30 user accounts I have on this SuSE 9.1
Pro box, some 3 or 4 can log on under full KDE and use Kmail
connected to their /var/spool/mail files to read, save and delete
mail. I want the other 25 odd users to be able to log on from remote
machines, either Red Hat Linux or more often OS X and use a local
mailer to POP or IMAP (I do not care which) their mail. The same
users will be logged in and the others will be remote. This will not
change in most cases. If there was an easy soution where they could
do both fine but I think I am safe to say that it will be a finite
set of all the user accounts that log in directly. I do understand
that you are talking about settin up POP or IMAP and using that for
both the logged in and remote mail accounts, and if that is the
easier fix, fine, but I was hoping to put in the remote system and
switch users over to it slowly leaving the rest using
the /var/spool/mail file.

Thanks for all the help.

john