FW: [SLE] Smart Update problem
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 17:52:20 -0500
On Thursday, July 20, 2006 @ 11:46 AM, I wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 19, 2006 @ 10:25 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>BandiPat wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> ----------
>>>
>>> Basil, got my updaters mixed up. YOU, the security updater, still
>>> performs as it did before, but Yast2 updater, zmd, rug or whatever it
>>> is now, downloads, then updates/installs each file as it gets them.
>>> Smart and YUM both download all files then installs.
>>>
>>> Sorry about the confusion.

>>Ah, OK, so YOU is still working the intelligent way :-) .

>>Cheers.

>Well, I don't think it is. I've been launching "Online Update" (i. e. YOU)
>to do my updates because the new "Software Updater" has not been working
>for me for some time (they're supposed to have it fixed with a patch pretty
>soon). Unless my short term memory is really bad (possible), then it
>looked like "Online Update" downloaded and installed each update one at a
>time each time I ran it. I'll pay closer attention next time, but I'm
>pretty sure I'm remembering this correctly.

>Greg Wallace

Well, looks like YOU is slightly more sophisticated than I had thought.
Today, I ran YOU to see if there were any patches. First, it downloaded and
installed a single Yast package and then popped up a message saying I should
run YOU again. This happened again on that update. Only on the third
update did it download and install more or less 20 updates. So, it looks
like it at least attempts to get the Yast patches installed and updated
before trying to handle other packages.

Greg Wallace