Re: [SLE] Novell's official position on binary only kernel modules
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 22:02:30 +0200
"Osho GG" <oshogg@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I recently read a Ottawa Linux Symposium talk report by Greg
> Kroah-Hartman (SuSE Labs/Novell) which is at:
>
> http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/ols_2006_keynote.html
>
> The precise wording of Novell's policy is:

> Novell's Official Position
>
> Most developers of the kernel community consider non-GPL kernel
> modules ot be infringing on their copyright. Novell does respect this
> position, and will no longer distribute non-GPL kernel modules as part
> of future products.
>
> February 9, 2006
>

> Does this mean we won't see ATI/NVidia's graphics drivers in their
> future releases? How much of the current hardware will be impacted by
> such a policy?

We never had NVidia's drivers as part of our releases and will not add
them.

Btw. NVidia and ATI both of repositories with drivers that you can
use:

Add as ZYPP / YUM source:

http://www2.ati.com/suse/ as repo for ATI drivers and
Packages:
x11-video-fglrx
ati-fglrx-kmp-default (replace default by your kernel flavour)

ftp://download.nvidia.com/novell for NVIDIA drivers.
Package:
nvidia-gfx-kmp-default (replace default by your flavour)

While these are the SLED 10 drivers, the current SUSE Linux 10.1
update kernel works fine with them, as it's basically the same,

Andreas
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 N├╝rnberg, Germany