Re: [opensuse] The state of openSUSE
  • From: Thomas Hertweck <Thomas.Hertweck@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:18:55 +0100

Andreas Hanke wrote:
> [...]
> I'm just trying to explain *why* the user's winmodem didn't work in a
> default installation and *why* it will probably not work better in
> future default installations of (open)SUSE, and actually I doubt that
> other distributors can continue with proprietary kernel modules in the
> same way they are currently distributing them. Maybe one or two years,
> but not more. The "pressure" from actual Linux contributors and
> copyright holders (not users) is too high.

In principle I agree with you. But, you know, it somehow looks like a
fight between the open source community and (maybe) the Linux
distributors on the one hand and the hardware/software driver
manufacturers on the other hand. And the loser is the end user, as
usual. I don't think it was a good idea to drop the shipment of
proprietary modules at a moment's notice (from SUSE XX.X to XX.Y)
*without* an adequate replacement that makes the transition as smooth as
possible for the end user. First getting a solution in place and *then*
making the move would have been much better from my point of view.
Sometimes I really have problems explaining something like this to a
user that is new to Linux and only wants an easy installation of his
chosen Linux distribution (whatever it is)...

Cheers,
Th.