Re: [opensuse] The state of openSUSE
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:55:07 +0200
Thomas Hertweck wrote:

> Per Jessen wrote:
>> [...]
>> Quality and openSUSE.org are right now the two main strengths of
>> SUSE. It is true that SUSE reputation for quality got a little dented
>> with the hurried change of package manager in 10.1, but I suspect
>> Novell might well have learned a lesson there.
>
> I wouldn't sign this statement ;-)

Well, we can always hope ...

> From my point of view, SUSE 10.1 users were just "abused" as cheap
> public beta testers for SLES.

But 10.1 underwent a fully public alpha and beta phase - I myself tested
all the beta versions, I believe. It's a pity that 10.1 was not
delayed to wait for the libzypp fix.

> The decisions were clearly not made in favour of a stable SUSE 10.1
> release, but in favour of an SLES product. And, I believe, the Novell
> management would do it again exactly like this.

And no-one can fault them for thinking that way.

> So I really have doubts whether a lesson has been learned... At a
> lower level, say the SUSE Linux product manager(s), or the staff
> closely involved in the openSUSE project, or the developers, yes, I
> think they somehow really faced the negative feedback (although I am
> sure that most of the problems have not been their fault and that they
> worked hard to make the best out of SUSE 10.1) by the end user and
> have learned a lesson, but at the high management level...?!?

Well, although I pretty much agree with what you're saying, I think the
reasoning might be slightly different:

I think 10.1 had to ship as planned because that's typically how
American software houses work. European software houses typically
delay a shipment when they become aware of a major bug. After all,
would it not have been entirely in the SUSE spirit if we'd had a
press-release saying "10.1 delayed due to less than desired quality"?
But it would probably not have gone down so well with American
stockholders.

I don't see how the shipping of 10.1 is in any way related to what goes
into SLES10 - the beta testing had been done already.

To the original statement - unfortunately you're probably right and
Novell will not have learnt that particular lesson.

/Per Jessen, Zürich