Re: [SLE] And another 10.1 showstopper
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 20:03:54 +0200
Ken Schneider wrote:

>> It just seems as though the SUSE kernel dev guys attitude "after feb
>> 2008 we will prevent non-oss USB code from intitializing" --- is
>> harsh, unless there is an alternative way to provide access to such
>> hardware
>
> Looks like a date to have another distro in the works for install.
> Must be nice to -think- you are a big enough distro to bully your
> customers. I was raised to -always- treat the customer first, the
> customer is -always- right no matter what. Unless you don't care about
> going out of business.

Ken, that deadline has nothing whatsoever to do with SUSE nor Novell.
It was set by a kernel developer, Greg Kroah-Hartmann - and although he
is paid by SUSE/Novell, I doubt if they've "put him up this".

It is not about being a big distro, nor about bullying anyones
customers, it's about all the distros (and all of us) relying on the
free work of other people.

If you disagree with Greg KHs decision, you might need to remain on an
increasingly dated kernel for which support will dwindle away, or even
migrate back to Windows.

/Per Jessen, Zürich