[SLE] Updated Software Management Test Repository for SUSE Linux 10.1
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 09:45:53 +0200

We're currently pushing out an update to the package/patch management
stack and I'm asking for additional testing. The previous repository
did not show any new bugs but we fixed a couple of more bugs and made
this time a repository with a real patch in it for testing. Please
read the text below for instructions.

For testing the update stack do the following steps as root:

* start yast2 installation source via the yast2 control center or
directly as "yast2 inst_source".

Add as additional software catalog:
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/aj/10.1-packagemanagement-update-test
(or use one of the mirrors once they are updated)

and then leave the module via "Finish". It will take some minutes
to download data and setup the catalog.

IMPORTANT: If you tested my old sources already, you need to
download the metadata again (this is not needed afterwards anymore,
it's one of the fixes in this new update). Skip this step and go to
the next one:

* start yast2 online update via the yast2 control center or directly
as "yast2 online_update".

The patch summary should show a couple of patches and select only
the "libzypp update" (with a black mark). Press "Accept" to apply
the update. It will take some time to download packages and install
them.

* You can now remove the software catalog you added in the first step.
Use "yast2 inst_source" and delete the catalog.

* Restart zmd with "rczmd restart".

* Restart the zen-updater applet on your desktop (it will stop itself
since zmd gets stopped during the update).

* Everything is set now. You can now install further patches with:
- the desktop applet zen-updater
- the command line tool rug (via rug patches;rug in -t patch <patchname>)
- yast2 online_update
zen-updater will inform you about new patches.

We will really soon release now this as official update and therefore
need your testing.

The only fix I'm waiting for is the following:
Bug 180698 - zen-updater always shows patch dhcp (basically if a patch
has been issued twice, it is always shown in zen-updater)

IMPORTANT: Please report *all* bugs in bugzilla.novell.com and
*always* CC hmuelle@xxxxxxxxxx (Harald Müller-Ney) on the bugreport
and mention that you're using AJ's updated package stack from
2006-06-02.

The update contains the following packages (basically the complete
package stack):

* autoyast2
* libzypp
* libzypp-zmd-backend
* ruby-zypp
* rug
* suseRegister
* yast2
* yast2-installation
* yast2-instserver
* yast2-ncurses
* yast2-online-update
* yast2-packager
* yast2-perl-bindings
* yast2-pkg-bindings
* yast2-qt
* zen-updater
* zmd

The most important changes are:

* Do not create anymore /.gnupg (the directory can be removed)
(#171055)
* Handle daemons launched in rpm %post that do not close
filedescriptors (#174548)
* Really get all package descriptions (#159109)
* Support large files, e.g. DVDs as installation source (#173753)
* Handle update source setup after installation (#172665)
* Do not add duplicate update sources (#168740)
* Fix yast2 instserver module so that it works with 10.1 (#171157)
* Do not exit in online_update when only packages (and no patches) are
selected for installation or deletion (#175668)
* Improve syncronising sources between yast and zmd (#168740, 175174,
175159, 175173)
* Fix segmentation fault with non-signed repositories (#173291)
* Handle system proxy setting with zmd (#160830)
* Fix zen-updater bugs when installing packages (#171171, 174740)
* Update packages to follow ABI change in libzypp.
* Optimize and fix downloading of type zypp
* Fix refreshing repositories of type zypp (#154990)
* Add support for key handling to zmd, rug, zen-updater (#173920)
* Fix zen-updater to handle installation of patch and package together (#178015)
* Option to disable missing signature complaints is not persistent (#175845)

Andreas
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany