Re: [SLE] FYI: OpenSUSE vs Vista
  • From: "George Stoianov" <gstoyanoff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 08:56:07 -0400
On 6/2/06, Sjoerd Hiemstra <shiems.suse_ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This article compares installation, features, security, costs and ease
of use of OpenSUSE and Vista.

http://desktoplinux.com/articles/AT5613250391.html

One of the most remarkable points is that OpenSUSE supports more
hardware than Vista at the moment. The first big difference is the
system requirements, being substantially lower for OpenSUSE than for the
Windows operating system.
Because of these and many other points, the author of this comparison
sees a much brighter future for OpenSUSE than for Vista.

I have always thought that the only thing that can bring down a giant
is the giant himself. I mean Linux is great ... and no matter how many
review I read I think it is at least 10 sorry 500 no sorry 1000 better
than what MS Windows is and will ever be, because of the way it is
made. MS is getting to fat and too lazy to adapt and change and why
should they make the other people change.

Just a brief story:
...Yesterday I had to upgrade a Windows XP by putting on service pack
2 so that I can test something with .NET, so I check the service pack
it says 1 I go on MS site and start download it tells me that a policy
prevents the pack from being loaded over the web so I call the admin
he tells me: " I do not know if there is an executable but I can give
you a reg key change if you cannot find one (exe) from another tech
support guy.." I hate waiting so I enable updates ... nothing happens
... I reboot nothing happens ... I start doing something else 2
updates appear and I know there should 1000+ anyway I load them ..
then I reboot (of course everything is a kernel upgrade here :)) ...
and wow more updates and SP2 as well I start downloading that ends
with no message no confirmation nothing I check SP still 1 ... I
reboot ... check SP still 1 .. I run .NET installer which checks the
SP too and wants 2 it runs no problem ... I reboot ... cause I have to
it is like breathing for the windows l-ser

After 2 hours I am ready to now do what I wanted to evaluate a closed
source security solution. I spent 5 minutes and I have already found a
major problem .... now I have to fill out 10 forms be on 4 conference
calls and talk to 5 different people starting with a sales rep ...
what the ... to explain to them what the problems. I will probably
never get the name of a developer or try to explain in my own words.

I hope you are getting what I am trying to say by now. ... this is not
nice especially when I can post to a forum like this one and get a
response in 15 minutes with detailed instructions from someone who
really know my pain ... :). Thank you by the way.

I am not saying Linux is perfect or as a matter of fact that it will
ever be, I do not think that "dumming it down" so that everyone can
use it will make it better as I do not want what everyone has or want
to use :).

And yes I whine and complain from time to time when I spend hours
figuring stuff out and making them work in Linux, but I know if I get
so frustrated with anything (like winblows) I can take what I want and
make what I want ... and this is freedom.

Even if everyone liked bloody beef (I tried it once to my surprise it
was not that bad) I like it well done ;) and that is how I will have
it ... thanks to all the OSS developers that make this freedom a
reality today :).

Best wishes to everyone.
george