[SLE] [OT] The most user-efficient desktop? -- WAS: FYI: OpenSUSE vs Vista
  • From: "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 16:02:03 -0400
[ NOTE: This sounds like a good topic for the OT list ;-]

On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 17:39 +0200, Rikard Johnels wrote:
> Actually, Microsoft and a few others have invested millions of dollars to
> investigate what GUI is the most effective one.
> Intuitive, usefullness etc.
> So no matter WHAT your opinion is on the Microsoft software and ethics, they
> DO make sure they have SOMETHING on their feet when they start writing their
> thing...

But they've often been _wrong_ in their "group studies" as well.
Microsoft tends to use a lot of money they claim for such studies to
actually push "marketing" and _not_ real research. I've personally been
involved with one myself in the distant past. ;->

On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 14:07 -0400, suse@xxxxxx wrote:
> Wha? OSX's guy is based on windows? I had been under the impression
> that Windows copied Mac, and Mac copied W or whatever the Xerox original
> implementation was.

X is largely based on Job's NeXTstep, which has influenced most of the
pre-GNOME developments, as well as the subsequent Sawmill/Sawfish and,
now, Metacity window managers used in GNOME. A lot of these GNOME
developers have been paid Red Hat employees -- hence Red Hat's
unintentional bias at times (which they _fully_ admit).

--
Bryan J. Smith Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx http://thebs413.blogspot.com