Re: [SLE] No sound after installation of Gnome packages to KDE desktop
  • From: Alexandr Malusek <Alexandr.Malusek@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 14:06:09 +0200
Alexandr Malusek <Alexandr.Malusek@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> The sound (SBLive! 5.1) had worked OK in my SUSE 10.1 (KDE desktop
>> selection). I added some multimedia package from Gnome and the sound
>> stopped working.
>
> Here is more info. The problem seems to be KDE related. The sound
> works for other users and if I remove my ~/.kde directory then the
> sound works again. I'm trying to find which setting in the ~/.kde
> directory causes the problem. Any hints would be appreciated.

Here is the solution: For some reason, the "Input -> Wave" slider in
KMix has been set to minimum and thus no sound was produced. Setting
the slider to maximum has fixed the problem.

But there is an insanity in the behavior there: If you start the
YasT2 Sound module then the "Input -> Wave" slider of KMix is
automatically reset to minimum! As a result, the Other -> Volume ->
Test button of YaST2 does not produce any sound. This is an extremely
confusing behavior because the Wave slider cannot be controlled from
the YaST2 Sound module. In other words: To test sound in YaST2, I
have to run KMix and set the Wave slider to maximum.

I'm sure this is not a desired behavior. It may be affected by some
settings in my home directory which I'm not aware of (I used the same
~./kde directory in SUSE 10.0) and thus other users may not experience
the problem.

--
A.M.