Re: [SLE] Problem with W2003 Server causing Martian source...filling logs
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 04:03:12 +0200
On Thursday 08 June 2006 03:50, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
> Thanks, I thought I had put this information in. We have two network
> cards. One with public IP a block of 16. The other is an internal
> network on 198.60.2.0/24.

Considering the rest of your email, I'm guessing this was a typo

> They have machines coming up and down. They
> use all the IP's in this block at one time or an other. This machine is
> 192.168.2.85 and the MS win 2003 server is 192.168.2.35. I do not
> remember the exact address. All have the same netmask which should
> exclude this 192.168.30.32 address.

I guess so too, since if the netmask included that IP, it wouldn't be a
martian

> The stupid MS server is spewing out
> this even though it should not. The MS Admin says he does not know what
> on his server is giving this error to the linux box.

Something on that machine obviously thinks it has that address. Is it running
some sort of virtual machine perhaps, like Vmware? If so, then perhaps it's
misconfigured. I've seen it happen, when the guest OS (with a fake
vmware-private IP) suddenly gets direct access to the LAN

> I do not know else to sugest. All I know is the mac address coresponds to
> the MS Server.

The quickest way would be to run a network trace, for example ethereal, until
you've captured a few of these packets. Then you can see what it's trying to
do, and that should give some idea about what's going on

> They have over 200 machines on and off at any one time. All the internal
> machines use the same wiring on this internal network. The MS addmin may
> not really know what he is talking about. They did have a Novell Network
> on this wiring as well. He thinks that everything is a MS Network. As
> they replaced the Novell Network with MS after the Novell announcement.

Which announcement was that?