Re: [SLE] 32-bit machines hit physical RAM limit at 4GB?
  • From: Stanley Long <slong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:07:30 -0800
Bryan J. Smith wrote:
On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 15:03 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

Isn't that more or less what I started this thread with?

The problem is that you're applying kernel modes to application ABI.

Which is what I am ALSO saying. The application does not go beyond the
4Gb address space, the operating system (in our case Linux) does that
for the application.

Again, re-read this portion ...

"Because processes running in these environments have 32-bit
pointers"

First, the processes are built for 32-bit/4GiB pointers. That's a
_hard_ limit.

[ clipped a bunch, maybe the answer I want :-) ]

Specific single application: Radiance http://www.radiance-online.org/
( it was here in the 10.0 distro. )
Do I take a hit trying to use Radiance on 1.5Gb x86?
What about when I get a 3D CAD package sending building structures to Radiance for lighting design? Wine not wanted here.

I am an end user, not much of a programmer.