Re: [SLE] Installation advices.
  • From: Derek <derekmailbox@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 20:17:51 +0200
Thank you both.

On 6/12/06, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 10:46 +0200, Derek wrote:
> Hi all. After testing the liveDVD of the 10.1 on my laptop, I've decide
> move from windows to Suse10.1. Everything worked fine.
> Just a begginer question, how I should partition my disk thinking in
next OS
> updates?
> Have you any more advices?

For a notebook, just root (/) and swap will do. Don't worry about much
else, you've got limited storage. When I have 50+GB, I like to at least
create root (/), swap, /tmp, /var and /usr, in addition to any data

I outlined these details in a couple of blog entries ...

The first is _ideal_ if you're coming from Windows (because it talks
about FAT v. inode, and why FAT, including NTFS, has issues):
"Filesystem Fundamentals and Practices"

More server-centric, here is a follow-up blog entry:
"Linux Servers: Eccentric Practices for Disk Slicing"

I really recommend the second article, even if you're just running a
home file server. How you create your sole file server in a SOHO is a
great learning experience for when you start growing and adding another,
and another, as well as additional storage.

There's a reason why you _should_ create /export and more hierarchical
trees in your storage from the get-go. I'm running into this very issue
at my new client as they have grown from 5 engineers to over 50 before I
got there.

Bryan J. Smith Professional, technical annoyance
Illegal Immigration = "Representation Without Taxation"

Also check the archives at