Re: [SLE] Is this a hardware, software or finger problem?
  • From: S Glasoe <srglasoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:18:54 -0500
On Tuesday 13 June 2006 1:52 pm, mlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> When the system runs its filesystem checks there's never any corruption
> mentioned. I figure that if the boot sector were corrupt/damaged, then I
> would have far more significant symptoms. What's left?
>
> Informed opinion welcomed.

> Speculation and wild-assed guesses welcomed.

Oh good. Then I have something to contribute...

> Thanks,
>
> Kevin

Haven't heard of this happening with that kind of regularity. Are you sure
that WinXP doesn't have problems also? Do you use WinXP enough to know that
it doesn't have trouble(s) with the DVD drive? Usually Linux can stress the
hardware more than Win-whatever so the problem may show up more in Linux.

I'd suspect that there is something with the DVD drive subsystem (power, IDE
cable, drive itself) causing it to 'disappear' long enough to let YaST
Install Sources think it really did go away. My first hunch is power. The
PS may be good quality but it may also be getting old and putting out less
power than before. On either the 5V logic side or the 12V power to the
motor side.

Why not copy the DVD to a directory and then point YaST to that? Or make
sure that an online source is listed instead. That way you eliminate the
DVD drive itself.

Stan