Re: [SLE] Printing: creating and changing printers in /etc/cups/ppd/
  • From: ken <gebser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:42:54 -0400

Of the two printer files (*.ppd files) in my /etc/cups/ppd/, one works
and the other doesn't. Doing a "diff" on the two files, I see no
significant difference between them, just things like page size, media
type, and variables related to color.

The one that works is owned by root. The one that doesn't is owned by
lp. Could that be the reason?

Also, I'd like to change the name of the working printer. As far as
I've been able to find, there's no GUI for doing this. Can I just
rename (i.e. mv) the ppd file?

And... I'd like to change the *DefaultPageSize: from A4 to Letter. Can
I just hand-edit the ppd file to do this? And then I'd have to likewise
change *DefaultPageRegion and *DefaultImageableArea and
*DefaultPaperDimension, yes?

And say I get a nicely working printer and want to change just a few
minor parameters, like print quality. Could I just copy the working ppd
file and thereby create another printer?

Finally (for now anyway), is it permissible to put comments into a ppd
file, i.e., lines which begin with "*%"?

Merci vielmals im Voraus,
ken

--
As a statistic, the US Unemployment Rate is like saying that no one is
drowning because the flood waters have risen only five inches today.