Re: [SLE] Hotkeys (KDE)
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 06:14:27 -0400
On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 19:43 -0700, kai wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 June 2006 12:52 am, Matthew Stringer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running Suse 10 on a Dell Latitude D600 with KDe 3.5.3.
> >
> > I've installed the hotkeys package to enable the volume control keys.
> >
> > This software works fine however I'm unsure as to the best location to call
> > this program from to make it auto start on boot up.
> >
> > Every place I've tried starts it OK with KDE but although it's running I
> > can't use the controls from my desktop.
> >
> > I appreciate this is probably a case of RTFM but I've followed the
> > documentation and thus far not go it to work.
>
> I don't really think there is much documentation on this, since us laptop
> owners are very much in the minority when it comes to *nix usage.
>
> That said, it will work if you set it up.
>
> http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/suse/desktop+audio.jpg
>
> That's a picture of my laptop playing Amarok with the on screen display being
> changed by my pressing the volume keys.
>
> In my experience, it works most of the time. Firefox and some other
> less-than-friendly programs will override the volume controls for some
> reason. (Sound in Linux is still a very poor mixed-bag of different drivers
> and engines, not all of which play nicely with the others. Hopefully this
> will change in the future.)
>
> Here's what you need. IIRC, you want to go into YaST > Software Management and
> install (if not already) OSD (xosd and lineak_xosdplugin) and lineak - the
> Linux Easy Access Keyboard, which comprises lineakconfig, lineakd,
> lineak_defaultplugin and lineak_kde.
>
> Once done (and no- you don't have to reboot), you can run Geeko > Utilities >
> Desktop > KLineakConfig.
>
> This is pretty self explanitory. If you need, you can map the keys to KMIXUP
> and KMIXDown for volume and KMute for mute. The D600 may or may not be
> listed. Just find one which matches the keys you have. I have an Inspiron
> 600m and use an Inspiron 8600 key mapping.
>
> Just make sure you click Apply and NOT Close. If you click Close, nothing
> will work. Apply will minimize the lineak thingy into your systray and keep
> the service running.
>
> If you have everything running correctly you'll see the green OSD and will be
> able to control your multimedia with the keys.
>
> I wish you luck!
>
> More information can be found at http://lineak.sourceforge.net/

One more thing about lineak. Look at /etc/lineakkb.def to see which
keyboard you should using for your system. In the case of the above
laptop this is the entry:

[DELL-D600]
brandname = "Dell"
modelname = "D600"
[KEYS]
VolumeDown = 174
VolumeUp = 176
Mute = 160
[END KEYS]
[END DELL-D600]

So the required keyboard in lineak is DELL-D600.

> To the list, I apologize for this totally On Topic post. I will return to
> posts highlighting the virtues of hampsters, beer and wet t-shirts
> momentarily.

;)