Re: [SLE] Unable to print certain PDFs
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 22:42:58 -0400
On Monday 19 June 2006 20:02, Scott Castaline wrote:
> Running SuSE 10.1 with hplip-0.9.11, I cannot print the first page of my
> bank statement. This has been going on since 9.3 and earlier versions of
> hplip. I can print the statement starting from page 2 to end, but cannot
> print page 1 by itself or with the whole PDF file. Watching the status
> from HP Toolbox it indicates that the printer received the job and that
> it printed it. This is a networked printer on its own jetdirect
> interface. I have no problem with any other PDFs or print jobs. I also
> seem to remember being able to print from other distros. Any idea why it
> seems to be only SuSE and just this one source?

Hi Scott,

Two comments...

First, it's really very important to determine the precise facts as they
pertain to your ability/inability to print page one of these statements in
another distribution. There's nothing more maddening than chasing after the
cause for a clue that turns out to be nonexistent.

Second, what applications have you tried opening and printing these statements
from? Acrobat Reader? KPDF? OpenOffice.org? Do they all stumble in the same
way?

Is there a way to redirect or trap/spool the output at the printer to examine
it for clues? Sorry if this is naive but I actually remember having to
manually embed printer control codes in my documents. ;-) It'd be
interesting to see what the data stream hitting the print engine looks like
since the driver seems to be indicating the first page is printing.

regards,

Carl