Re: [opensuse] SUSE Linux versus opensuse linux naming
  • From: "Yu Safin" <calanet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:04:16 -0400
On 6/28/06, Daniel Bertolo <daniel.bertolo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 28. Juni 2006 14:27 schrieb Pascal Bleser:
> "SUSE" has been around for a long time, as a name (even if it was
> "S.u.S.E." and "SuSE" in the past).

I did not say that SUSE should be renamed. I just suggested to seperate the
community based SUSE Linux from the Novell business products. Being a user of
both, I would suggest the following:

- Community Edition: SUSE Linux 10.2
- Novell products: Novell Linux Enterprise Server, Novell Linux Desktop

Like that SUSE stands for the community and Novell for business products.

> You might be new to SUSE Linux, but the distribution has a very strong
> history, especially in Germany, and renaming the distribution to
> something else is totally *not* a good idea.

No, I am definitely not new. I am using it for more than six years now. And
Switzerland is not that far from Germany :).

Dani

I think it does create some confussion to have a pay for version and a
free version in terms of marketing. However, for corporate use, we
will always buy so we can get the support and our lawyers / finance
guys don't pay much attention to the name. My two cents is that it is
advantegous to have the name SUSE in both the open (free) and pay-for
versions. When I am experimenting with a new SUSE version, I go for
openSUSE and once happy I recommend it for upgrade. At that point I
go to the pay-for SUSE and it goes into QA for final testing. If I
have to explain that I experimented with SUSE but I am installing
XXXX, it will complicate matters a bit more for the non-technical.