[opensuse] SuSE-watcher/ksmarttray (was: Package management tool confusion)
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 01:31:13 +0200

Michael Schueller wrote:
> Am Freitag, 2. Juni 2006 21:52 schrieb Marcus Meissner:
>>> On a side note: do you know if there are plans to develop a KDE
>>> native updater applet?
>> Yes. We even have found a student who wants to do it ;)
>> Btw, the previous YOU watcher just run a commandline program
>> ("online_update")... It could be ported to just call "rug"... ;)
> How about patching the old SuSE-Watcher to just call smart ..
> That would be nice ;-)

That's what ksmarttray already does ;)

It's shipped as part of smart, in contrib/, and I package it as

It's very simple though, it just calls "smart update" on a regular basis
(interval is hardcoded in the sources), checks the output and reports
it. So it's a lot like SuSE-watcher.

If someone with some KDE hacking skills would like to spend a little
time on it, I think it's pretty easy to expand (it already does the
dirty job of interfacing with smart)... or even use SuSE-watcher and
copy/paste the ksmarttray code "smart update" output checking code into it.

At least it would be nice to do a simple config dialog for the update
interval (passing it from the command-line would be the easiest hack,
but probably not the most noob-friendly).

Note that as smart is written in Python, a neat solution would be to
code such a systray app (or kicker applet) in Python/QT or Python/KDE,
to directly use the smart API instead of forking "smart update" and
checking the output (although it works).
But then again, Python/QT/KDE has very, very few documentation :\

- --
-o) Pascal Bleser
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)