Re: [SLE] Changing hardware IRQ's
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 04:45:07 -0600
On 01/05/06 16:45, Paul W. Abrahams wrote:
>On Monday 01 May 2006 6:32 am, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
>
>>On 29/04/06 07:21, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
>>
>>>I have a 9.2 system here where the network card(Realtek 8139) and the
>>>on-board sound have the same IRQ.
>>>
>>If either of the devices is a busmaster, then it should not matter if
>>they share the irq. One of my network cards is a busmaster, and my sound
>>card, both network cards, and USB are all on the same irq with no problems.
>>
>>>Would moving eth0 to a different PCI slot help?
>>>
>>If it is a busmaster, the preferred place is in slot 0.
>>

>I have a laptop (a Dell Inspiron 1000) with apparent IRQ conflicts, but I
>obviously can't move cards around -- and on this particular machine, the
>brain-damaged BIOS has no facilities for tinkering with IRQs. The symptom is
>peculiar: KDE hangs on bootup if my network wireless card is inserted and
>runs fine if it isn't. But if I insert the card once KDE has started, both
>KDE and networking are happy.
>
>Paul

Am I correct in assuming, from what you say here, that the system will
boot successfully to runlevel 3? If so, then I do not think this is a
serious hardware conflict, if indeed it is a conflict at all. Rather,
something somewhere in KDE is the problem. What that might be, I cannot
say, but the SuSEplugger, if running, might be something to look at.