Workaroud for a SATA nForce 250 SCSI Parity Error problem
  • From: <hatespam00-mlist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 03:56:34 -0700 (PDT)
Hi everyone,

I have the following configuration:

MSI K8N NEO2-FX,nForce3 250Gb,Socket-939 Raid, ATX, SATA, GbLAN, Sound, AGP8X
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8GHz Socket 939
1Gb kit DDR PC3200 Premier Dual Channel - OCZ
XFX GeForce FX5500 128MB DDR, AGP8X, Tv-Out, DVI-I, Retail
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 160GB SATA2 8MB 7200RPM
LG DVD Drive, GDR-8164RBB, 16x52, Black OEM

Eventually, not without struggling, I managed to install and run SLES 9 64bit + SP3 on this box (I use it as a very small office server running TFTP, FTP, Apache and Samba). The trick was to lower the CAS settings on the memory and use ide=nodma. So with these settings it was running fine for a month or so.

Now I want to “upgrade” it to SUSE 10.0 or SUSE 10.1 64bit since I need some packages from those releases that seem to be a hassle to install them in SLES 9 (i.e. MIT Kerberos 5).

The problem is that I just can’t install them. Tried with both and hit the same issue: once I select “update” option and the installer tries to mount existing Linux partitions, I can see on the logger that infamous “SCSI Parity Error”, “device busy”, timeout and I/O errors while accessing the hard drive. And the only way out is to use the POWER RESET button.

SLES 9 seems to mount the SATA as an IDE (/dev/hdg1 thus I can use ide=nodma to get around the issue) but SUSE 10.X sees it as a SCSI drive (dev/sda) and thus ide=nodma. Both use sata_nv module.

Now all I want is somehow install SUSE 10.X on it – don’t care about performance. Is it any way I can “force” SUSE10.X installer to “mount” the SATA disk as an IDE disk and not as a SCSI – the same way SLES 9 does ? Is there any updated sata_nv module I could use ? Or can I use any other “generic” module for this SATA chipset and drive ?

Your thoughts on this matter will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Best regards,
Florin

< Previous Next >