Re: [SLE] Workaroud for a SATA nForce 250 SCSI Parity Error problem
  • From: Florin <hatespam00-mlist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 15:56:10 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks very much Greg,

Regards,
Florin

----- Original Message ----
From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Silviu Marin-Caea <silviu_marin-caea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2006 1:48:23 PM
Subject: Re: [SLE] Workaroud for a SATA nForce 250 SCSI Parity Error problem

On 5/26/06, Silviu Marin-Caea <silviu_marin-caea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Friday 26 May 2006 13:56, hatespam00-mlist@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > mount existing Linux partitions, I can see on the logger that infamous
> > "SCSI Parity Error", "device busy", timeout and I/O errors while
> accessing
> > the hard drive. And the only way out is to use the POWER RESET button.
>
> Where do I found more info on these infamous errors?
>
> I think the same bug has bit me.
>
> nforce 350 + maxtor drives = > drive failures, lots of bad sectors etc.
>
> Should they work on a different chipset than nvidia?
>
> One of those failed drives has very precious data on it. It's part on a
> RAID1
> mirror. The other disk died completely.

The latest -mm vanilla kernel has a huge SATA driver rework in it. The goal
is to get that rework into 2.6.18 in a few months, and then I hope into SUSE
10.2.

Until then you could review the linux-ide mailing list archives and see if
it looks like the bif rework will help you or not.

If so, the big rework patch has also been backported to one or two stable
(vanilla) kernels. You could consider using a stable vanilla kernel with
the rework patch and see if it helps.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer