Re: [SLE] RANT: Advantages of Dual Core
  • From: Hans du Plooy <hansdp-lists@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 16:35:20 +0200
On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 08:28 +0200, Orn E. Hansen wrote:
> entire files system (exageration, running several recursive finds), for what

I would still like to see a way to prioritise disc assess. So that I
can say process "updatedb" and anything it calls, will get nothing but
the leftover cycles. If it's alreay running, and something else comes
up, like say, ls -lh, then ls -lh will immediately be given priority.

You can nice -n 19 updatedb until the cows come home, it still kills
your machine. I have disabled updatedb completely, and only run
manually before I go to bed from time to time, because, with a 5400rpm
hard disc, my notebook becomes useless while running.

On my desktop, with a 7200rpm/16mb SATA disc, with SUSE 10.0, updatedb
comes on when I switch it on. The box is useless until updatedb is
done.

Hans