Re: [SLE] RANT: Advantages of Dual Core
  • From: "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 08:31:40 -0400

Orn E. Hansen wrote:
> If you're after a Linux specifically for the desktop, maybe NLD is the
> right option instead of plain SUSE Linux.

Plesae correct me if I'm wrong, but NLD and SLES are released after 3-4
SL releases, and change far less. And because they change less, SuSE
could then sell Service Level Agreements (SLAs).

This "enterprise" model, including Service was actually originated by
SuSE, and not Red Hat. Red Hat tried to sell SLAs atop of its last ".2"
release -- e.g., Red Hat Enterprise Linux release 1 is retroactively
considered Red Hat Linux 6.2E (which included a SLA).

And SLES 7 outsold RHL6.2E 5:1 -- hence Red Hat's change to a separate
product as of RHL7.x -> RHEL2[.1].

--
Bryan J. Smith Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx http://thebs413.blogspot.com

< Previous Next >