Re: [opensuse] Re: packagemanagement in 10.1
  • From: Thomas Meindl <tom.meindl@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 13:20:14 +0200
houghi schrieb:
> On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 06:58:09PM +0200, Thomas Meindl wrote:
>
>> Maybe I missed a point till now, but can any of these package managers
>> store the downloaded packages locally? E.g. Yast Online Update was able
>> to do this till SUSE 10.0 and it was easy to create a personalized patch
>> CD. It would save bandwidth an time (and lots of my nerves) if it was
>> possible to store the packages and repository data on my HD. Can
>> anybody give me a hint if it is possible?
>>

> This would also be nice not only for updates, but RPM's in general. e.g. I
> can download MPlayer and all that is needed into /usr/src/packages/RPMS/*
> and can use that as a base for other machines (or whatever)

Yes, that's exactly my intention. So far I used wget or rsync to keep a
local Yast repository up-to-date, but with this method I also get a lot
of unneeded packages. Therefore smart seems a good way to prevent this -
and can also save me a lot of work and troubles (which is very nice
indeed ;-) ).
I also hope that SUSE implements such a function into the zen-updater
and its front-end. An easy-to-use direct accessible 'use this local
data' dialogue could be a very nice feature.
Btw. many thanks to all for the quick and very helpful replies. I'm
going to use smart - it looks very promising and seems to fit my purpose
very well.
Kind regards,
tOM (who really hates the caps-lock key ;-) )

< Previous Next >