Re: [opensuse] packagemanagement in 10.1
  • From: andreas.hanke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 18:46:52 +0200
Hi,

> - apt-rpm: while some people report bad experiences with it (corrupt RPM
> database), I personally never had issues with it (but I've been using
> smart since some time now) and it seems that it's being actively
> maintained and developed again, and even supports RPM-MD (yum)
> repositories in its latest versions (though that's not the one shipped
> on the 10.1 FTP tree)

OK, but then it should be made very clear that this one (apt) is not the one whose resolver engine was designed to work with the repositories provided for SUSE Linux. Especially, it should be made very clear that it is not biarch safe, which YaST/zypp is (or at least, should be).

There is a bug 176739 and I blame using non-YaST/zypp package managers for it.

Some examples of people experiencing this problem (two of them in German, unfortunately):

http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/index.php?showtopic=37096
http://www.linux-club.de/ftopic60412.html
http://www.linux-club.de/ftopic61119.html

IMHO improving YaST/zypp should be the priority now, not migrating people away from it to alternative package managers (which have different problems that will most probably not be fixed with the same priority by SUSE engineers).

Andreas Hanke
--

Bis zu 70% Ihrer Onlinekosten sparen: GMX SmartSurfer!
Kostenlos downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/smartsurfer

< Previous Next >