Re: [SLE] The future of SuSE Linux as we know it?
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 15:54:35 +0100
> >> From: "Kevanf1" <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
> >> To: "SuSE Group" <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx>
> >> Subject: Re: [SLE] The future of SuSE Linux as we know it?
> >> Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 09:47:32 +0100

> >> I read this yesterday afternoon. It's interesting reading but I don't
> >> agree with the overall result. It does seem to be skewed.
> >>

> > Anytime Mandriva comes out at the top of the list in a distro shoot-out, it makes the entire results of a product comparison suspect. Granted, certain community pundits (LinuxFormat & Tux) like Mandriva but the quality of the distribution is no longer the cutting edge distro that it was a year or so back,
>
> As you probably know, Mandriva is no longer the old Mandrake but is now
> a combination of Mandrake, Conectiva and Lycoris.
>
> > according to reports, Mandriva is hemoraging money, showed its founder to the door, and unless Mandriva team gets it act together, it most like will suffer an untimely demise.
> >

> Ah, so Mandriva is going and doing a "SuSE" then :-)? SuSE's old and
> intelligent brigade has been deserting also - or haven't you heard about
> that? - and Novell is also going down the financial gurgler. When they
> discovered (?)last year that SuSE actually made some money for them they
> were flabbergasted - which just goes to show how well they did their
> homework when they decided to buy SuSE.
>
> Cheers.
>

> --
> Yes, I AM a certified Cleavage Inspector.

I would like to point out that, though I doubt the conditions that
testing was performed under in the Tux Magazine round up, I actually
like the latest two versions of Mandriva. Prior to these it was
absolutely awful. Now it is very good, very useable and I would not
hesitate recommending it to anybody. I would point them to SuSE as
being better :-)

Now, how do I also become a certified Cleavage Inspector :-))) is
this dependent upon one's height?

Xmas may be over but, PLEASE DON'T drink and drive you'll make it to
the next one that way.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay