Can a native 64-bit CPU run 32-bit code ?
  • From: Maura Edeweiss Monville <memonvil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 17:12:11 -0500 (CDT)
My laptop has a AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+, Architecture is x86_64.
My problem is that I have to compile a code that will then be linked to
pre-compile binaries produced on 32-bit machines.
In short, everything must be compiled to generate 32-bit code for the sake
of compatibility.
There should be an option in the gcc compiler that forces it to generate
32-bit code..
But assuming I've got an executable for 32-bit machines, then can I run
such an exectable on MY OWN laptop which is 64-bit ?
If the answer is "yes" (I hope so) then I'd be grateful to know how I can
do that .

Thank you in advance for your help.

Maura

< Previous Next >