Re: [SLE] Is SUSE the market-place chicken or the egg?
  • From: "Kai Ponte" <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:27:11 -0700

> On 4/26/06 4:57 PM, "Kai Ponte" <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > in addition to the SLES
> > partition on the mainframe.
>
> Can you explain this? Just sharing the drives?
> Just wondering.

Not a problem.

On a mainframe you can have different operating systems running at the
same time in different partitions. I'm not exactly sure how it all
works. At my old place, they got a new IBM z890 and had MVS on one
partition, zOS on another and SLES on a third.

I think the goal was to eventually move all apps off the MVS partition
onto the zOS partition. Of course the SLES partition was going to be
dedicated to a new version of an accounting system which was previously
running on the MVS partition. It runs under *nix and uses DB2 as a
backend.

Oh, and in case anyone's curious about this accounting system, I
wouldn't recommend it. First off, I think it costs well over $1M per
year to licence and second I don't particularly like the company.

--
kai

< Previous Next >