Re: [SLE] Warning to Americans!
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:31:49 +0100

The Saturday 2006-04-29 at 14:33 +0200, Clayton wrote:

> If I have any vote, I'd say leave all the applications SUSE provides
> with the A4 defaults. The US and Canada are the only countries in the
> world (that I know of) who still use the old non-standard
> papersizes... although, Canada in it's typical schizophrenic way
> actually uses both ISO and US paper sizes and standards (I can say
> that since I'm Canadian :-) )

X'-)

I remember once years ago I tried to photocopy some papers of mine in
Ottawa and they would not fit... letter size is a bit smaller than A4. The
shop didn't even know what A4 was.

It's time to change... in Spain we also had our own paper sizes not
twenty years ago. And by 1900 or roundaabouts we had so many different
units of measurement that going metric was a blessing.

> Just as an aside, have any of you actually looked at the design of ISO
> paper? It's quite elegant and very mathmatical. I love the ratio of
> the sides of all ISO pages... the height divided by the width is
> always the square root of 2.

I had to study that when I went to college, part of the technical drawing
course. The reason of that ratio is simple: two A4 joined by the long side
make an A3 exactly, and the same holds for all sizes. Also, if you "zoom"
sizes in a copier, sizes and ratios match. Add to that that the
standarized line thicknes in the drwaings so that they go from one
standard size to the next when you zoom. Clever.

I most be bored to ramble so... X-)

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson

I was taught both Imperial and Metric when I went to school - back in
the late 1960's and early to mid 1970's. Because of that I get
confused over both sets of measurements :-)

I had to order some wood the other day - it sort of relevant in a
roundabout way as it was wood for a new shed so that I can clear my
workshop out to install a new SuSE server. I had to ask for the
outeredge size in imperial and the actual length in metric.... that's
how it's sold!!!!
Xmas may be over but, PLEASE DON'T drink and drive you'll make it to
the next one that way.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay