Re: [SLE] Warning to Americans!
  • From: Jim Sabatke <jsabatke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:50:55 -0500
Kevanf1 wrote:
On 29/04/06, Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Saturday April 29 2006 08:35, James Knott wrote:

> It's amazing that Americans are still so backward as to stick with the
> Imperial measures.

We don't. The imperial gallon is 5 quarts. The US gallon is 4 quarts.
Canadians, I believe, use the imperial gallon, or used to.

Now I'm confused. A quart is two pints, yes? 8 pints equal a gallon
the same as 4 quarts. All these are indeed Imperial measures or they
are here in the UK.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay
Staffordshire
WS6 7HR

I believe that it goes back to King George the Mad. He couldn't raise taxes in the colonies, but he could change the size of a pint, which I believe, IIRC, went from 20 oz. to 16 oz.

Jim

< Previous Next >