Re: [SLE] Warning to Americans!
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 21:48:19 -0400
Greg Wallace wrote:
> On Saturday, April 29, 2006 @ 5:39 PM, James Knott wrote:
>
>> Peter B Van Campen wrote:
>
>>> I remember having to buy transmission oil in Canada in 1969. the Quarts
>>> were 40 ounces. So an Imp Gallon would be 4 Imp Quarts (160 Oz) or 5 US
>>> Quarts (160 Oz).
>

>> It's not quite that simple. You're forgetting about the different ounce
>> sizes.
>
> Actually, I lived in Canada for a while and it was as Peter described. A
> gallon was 160 oz and a quart 40 oz.

I also live in Canada, and while an Imperial gallon has 160 ounces, it's
a smaller ounce than the American. As I mentioned in another note,
while the ratio of the number of ounces in an American and Imperial
gallon is 4/5, the actual volume is 5/6. This can be verified, by
comparing the number of litres in each gallon. In Imperial, it's 4.546
litres/gallon. In U.S., it's 3.785.