Re: [opensuse] backup question to y'all
On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 10:03:12PM +0200, Chris Maaskant wrote:
> Thanks for explaining that to me Houghi.
> But i'll stick with my rsync method, i see no need for me to having
> backups that can take me back more than a week.
> That might make sense when you do a lot of system configuration editing
> or do some developing or something, but i just play games surf the net
> do some graphic editing and listen/watch to music/movies.

I do not do a lot of system configuration editing. That makes it so easy
to go back such a long time. I now can go back 2 months. This takes 20GB.
And that with 4 backups per day.
If I would go back 1 week with a backup each day (only one per day) it
would take 35GB. So I save space by doing it like I do, because I do not
change things that much.

The first question I asked myself was how to backup as much with as little
space as possible. As a result I got the backup that lasted 2 months. I
believe the default settings would be almost one year. This still with
20GB for a 5GB in backups. The extra time is just that, an extra.

Not trying to convince you, just explaining it.

houghi